Multiple Approaches to the Use of the Psalms
The overarching lesson of this book is that the biblical psalms can be legitimately appropriated in a variety of ways in Christian worship. This can only happen through attentive study of each psalm and thoughtful pastoral leadership.
The following topics are covered in the rest of this article, found on pages iii-v of the book.
- Excerpts versus Entire Psalms
- Range of Interpretive Freedom
- Function or Genre
- Options for Imagining Our Relationship with the Text
- Understanding the Psalms in an Old Testament Context or a New Testament Context
- Christological interpretation